Date:      Sun, 15 Apr 2001 15:05:16 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Dmitriy Pushkarev <dima@cbs.udm.ru>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing ports via passworded proxy server

Dmitriy Pushkarev <dima@cbs.udm.ru> types:
> At the place I work, we have only one Real IP adress at the server with
> FreeBSD 3.4. And about 5 computes running FreeBSD 4.2-RC1. Installing
> programms on server is easy - just make install. But with other we have
> to download package from ftp and place it to distfiles. It's annoying
> :-( Could we install ports via passworded proxy server? I.e. i want
> teach port-installer to get files via passwd proxy...

Probably. You can set the following in /etc/make.conf (from
/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk):

# FETCH_CMD		- Full path to ftp/http fetch command if not in $PATH
#				  (default: "/usr/bin/fetch -A").
# FETCH_BEFORE_ARGS -
#				  Arguments to ${FETCH_CMD} before filename (default: none).
# FETCH_AFTER_ARGS -
#				  Arguments to ${FETCH_CMD} following filename (default: none).
# FETCH_ENV		- Environment to pass to ${FETCH_CMD} (default: none).
#

So if there's something you can hand to fetch in either the argument
list or the environment to make it do what you want you can set
that. See the fetch(1) and fetch(3) man pages for information on that.

If you can't make fetch do what you want, but can write a script to do
it, then you can set FETCH_CMD to point to the script.

	<mike