Date:      Thu, 08 May 1997 21:40:45 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Tim Tsai <tim@futuresouth.com>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>, Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: if_de.c ????

>   BTW, I did write to some of the consultants on the web page.  Nobody
> replied.  Afraid it's too little too late for us on the de driver.  I will
> know where to ask next time though!

I think Amancio's still waiting for you to write him back, actually. ;)

>   I think the moral of the story is to not trust the supported hardware
> list and just buy whatever cdrom.com uses.

No, the moral of the story is to use the supported hardware list as
a _baseline_ and then ask what's most recommended, just as I've
posted in my own list at http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/hw.html

Just because, say, the aic0 driver is present still doesn't mean you'd
want to use it if you had the choice of a better adapter/driver combo
and that will always be true, no matter how good (or bad) things like
the aic0 driver may be.

The PC market is a dog's breakfast.  A few good bits surrounded by
largely offensive muck.

					Jordan