Date:      Thu, 15 Jul 1999 10:44:57 +0100
From:      "Alex Knowles" <alex@profero.com>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   printing

I hope this is the right place to post, sorry if it's not.
I'm really sorry to post what is probably a repeat question, but I've just
upgraded to freebsd 3.2-release and I'm having real problems getting the
kernel to see my printer ports:

here is my kernel
device          ppc0    at isa? port? flags 0x40 net irq 7
controller      ppbus0
device          lpt0    at ppbus?
device          plip0   at ppbus?
device          ppi0    at ppbus?

and here is my dmesg output:
ppc0 at 0x3bc irq 7 flags 0x40 on isa
ppc0: Generic chipset (ECP/PS2/NIBBLE) in COMPATIBLE mode
ppi0: <generic parallel i/o> on ppbus 0
plip0: <PLIP network interface> on ppbus 0

whenever I try to access lpt0 it says that the device is not configured.
If I try and use the old configuration of lpt and I try and build the kernel
I get a whole load of make errors.

what am I doing wrong!?
please help
thanks
Alex

P.S. I'm not actually subscribed to the mailing list, so can you reply to
me.