Date:      Mon, 30 Jul 2007 15:19:46 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, peterjeremy@optushome.com.au, dennis.melentyev@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: removing external usb hdd without unmounting causes reboot?

Peter Jeremy wrote:
 > Dennis Melentyev wrote:
 > > Is there any correct way to initiate funding to rewrite VM/VFS related
 > > parts (getting non-panicable removable devices)? Who should one
 > > contact for this?
 >
 > I would suggest that the first step is finding someone (or a few
 > people) with the necessary skills who is/are willing to work on the
 > problem.  Offering funding may increase the potential pool but will
 > not automatically solve the skills/knowledge issue.

By the way, the problem apparently has been solved in
DragonFly BSD (i.e. DF BSD does not panic when a mounted
FS is physically removed).  Maybe it is worth to have a
look at what they did to fix it, and possibly port it
over to FreeBSD.  On the other hand, the internal data
structures of the VM subsystem have diverged quite a lot
from FreeBSD, so I don't know if it would really help.

(No, I'm not volunteering; lack of time and interest.)

Best regards
   Oliver

Perl is worse than Python because people wanted it worse.
        -- Larry Wall