Date:      Fri, 21 Sep 2001 12:09:36 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>, Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hw.ata.wc && hw.ata.tags && softupdates short question

In message <20010921185411.C81649@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>, j mckitrick
writes:

> |     You can choose one or the other, neither, or both.   I typically run my
> |     laptop with softupdates turned on and write caching also turned on.  A
> |     somewhat safer configuration would be softupdates turned off and write
> |     caching turned on, but not because softupdates and write caching might
> |     conflict.  They don't.  Only because softupdates itself delays meta-dat
> |     I/O and more work can be lost if a crash occurs then otherwise.
>
> Without knowing the details, I was just trying to sort out the tradeoffs of
> each option.  We've been told softupdates is reliable and makes UFS about as
> fast as Linux ext2fs.  We've been told write caching turned OFF causes a
> huge performance hit, but ON can cause data loss.  And we've also heard that
> some controllers tell you WC is off even when it is still on.  When you put
> it all together, it makes quite an interesting fuzzy-logic truth table.  :-)

The reason that EXT2FS on Linux and UFS on Solaris and Tru64-UNIX are
so fast is because by default those filesystems are mounted async.  UFS
on FreeBSD is mounted by default with SMD (Symmetric Meta Data), in
that data is written asynchronously and metadata is written
synchronously.  SMD is more reliable than async but less reliable than
synchronously mounted filesystems where the data is also written out
synchronously.

Softupdates orders writes of metadata such that you get almost the same
speed (3% slower) as asynchronously mounted filesystems with the same
benefits as SMD, except for the 30-60 second write delay.  When the
system crashes, there is greater risk of data loss over SMD or
synchronously mounted filesystems.

If you want almost absolute reliability, as absolute as it can get in
this business, mount your filesystems synchronously and turn of write
caching.  If you want raw speed mount your filesystems asynchronously
and turn on write caching.  If we want even more speed, mount your
filesystems with noatime.

I personally have write caching turned on and use softupdates.  It is a
good compromise for what I need to do, which is a few desktops,
firewalls, web servers, console and Kerberos servers (e.g. no database
servers).  It is also safer than what Linux, Solaris, and Tru64-UNIX
do, which is by default asynchronously mounting their UFS and EXT2FS
filesystems.

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD
Ministry of Management Services
Province of BC