Date:      Sun, 14 Jul 1996 18:19:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ken Marsh <durang@u.washington.edu>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Login at boot?

> > I'm new to unix and to FreeBSD. I just installed the system on half of my
> > hard drive with the dual boot option. It seems to work fine. However, upon
> > boot, I don't get a login prompt. Rather, I am just root from the get-go.
> > This doesn't seem right to me. Furthermore, when I do log in, I get:
> >
> > NO LOGINS -- System going down at 16:00
>
> Somehow /etc/nologin got dropped and you need to remove it.  Boot to single
> user mode (with -s) and delete it.
>
> Did you turn the machine off when running shutdown at any point?

I always do the shutdown, even though I hear Cntl-Alt-Del will work too. I
use "shutdown -h now", and wait for the "press any key to reboot" message,
then I off the power.

I tried booting with -s option, and found that I have few commands at my
disposal (i.e., no man pages) and I am also denied access to the file
/etc/nologin. "su" is also not available when I single-user boot. I can
delete the file when logged in as root, but then it reinstates itself when
I reboot.

This is only one of many problems I have had, including no login prompt on
boot, my atapi CD-ROM isn't recognized, my lpd daemon has to be
re-activated manually with ever print..... it think all the problems are
the result of using an atapi CD-ROM boot floppy from the 2.1.0 release to
install from the Walnut Creek 2.0.5 CD. The install was not very clean.

Thanks for the help!