Date:      Wed, 17 Apr 2019 08:28:39 -0600
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
To:        Balanga Bar <balanga.bar@gmail.com>, Hyun Hwang <hyun@caffeinated.codes>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ubldr

On Wed, 2019-04-17 at 09:06 +0100, Balanga Bar wrote:
> Thanks for the link. I notice this bit:-
>
> ubldr
>
>    - [ need more here too ]
>
> so am none the wiser really. I get the impression that ubldr is a
> fairly
> recent introduction, ie I don't think it got built under FreeBSD 9...

I had a feeling that wiki page would be too out of date to be useful. I
wrote most of that before ubldr came into existance; it mostly
describes how old arm systems booted without using loader(8) at all.

So, the short answer is:  ubldr is loader(8) compiled with options to
use U-Boot "API" services as a bios.  It requires that u-boot be built
with the CONFIG_API option.  In u-boot, you load ubldr as if it were
the kernel, and it uses uboot API calls to find and load the kernel and
modules.

-- Ian