Date:      Sun, 11 Jan 2015 22:38:50 -0800
From:      Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
Cc:        ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: BIND REPLACE_BASE option

On Jan 11, 2015 8:01 PM, "Mark Linimon" <linimon@lonesome.com> wrote:

>  AFAIK the companies that
> embed FreeBSD into their products are primarily interested in the kernel,
> the networking stack, the file systems, and so on.  I do not know of any
> such company that even _uses_ FreeBSD ports.

Wrong.  I've worked at 3 companies over the years that make direct use of
the ports tree when creating an embedded product based on FreeBSD.

In 2015, it is my experience that the stuff in /usr/src is only the bare
minimum to get going for a product.  ports are extremely important for a
modern embedded product based on FreeBSD.

--
Craig