Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 1995 18:52:23 -0800
From:      barkovich@uclac2.chem.ucla.edu
To:        Questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   installation trouble

I am having trouble with the installation of FreeBSD 2.0 for Intel based PCs.
Originally, I was having all sorts of problems with the installation, the
main problem being that my CD-ROM drive would timeout.  I would get the
following message:
scsi timeout--WAIT_FOR_REQ--pas.c:891
cd0(pas0:1:0):unit attention

I would also occasionally get checksum errors in some packages.  I called
Walnut Creek CDROM and told them the problem.  They told me it was probably
a bad CD and sent me a new one.  Upon receiving this new CD-ROM, I tried the
installation again and everything went OK until I tried to install XFree86.
The bindist package installed fine, as did manpages.  I didn't try any others
at the time.  When I tried to install X Windows, the same thing happened
that happened to all the packages before.  The unit would check the checksums
(this time they were OK) and go on to say "extracting distribution" and then
just die.  It was not reading the CDROM and there was no hard disk activity.
I left it alone for 1.5 hours and still nothing happened.  I got out of
that state by using control-backslash and it put me back in the installation
menu.  I tried it other times and I could not install X Windows.  When I
checked the kernel messages in the installation program there were some new
lines:
pid xxx: dialog: uid 0:exited on signal 3
pid yyy: sh: uid 0: exited on signal 3
pid zzz: sh: uid 0: exited on signal 3
(where xxx, yyy, and zzz are three random [as far as I can tell] three digit
numbers)

This always happens.  I don't know if it's my hardware situation, but if it is, why doesn't it happen to the other packages such as bindist?  Has anyone else
had this problem?  Is there anything I can do to install the packages
manually from the CDROM? I would appreciate any help anyone can give me.  I
do have one last question as well....Is there any way to install the packages
after installation such as going back to the installation program?  Thanks...

					Robert Barkovich
					barkovich@uclach.chem.ucla.edu