Date:      Sat, 31 May 1997 09:55:29 +0100
From:      Robin Melville <robmel@innotts.co.uk>
To:        Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>, Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: uucp uid's

On Sat, 31 May 1997 09:55:17 +1000 Giles Lean wrote:
>On Fri, 30 May 1997 09:48:43 -0700 (MST)  Don Yuniskis wrote:
>
>> UUCP itself is a dinosaur.  Yet, I see several places that use UUCP as
>> their sole connection to the electronic world.  Kinda tough to force
>> a client/customer to do things *your* way when *he's* paying the
>> bills!  :>
>
>Hey, there's lots of money in dinosaurs!  Isn't there a movie or
>something? :-)

Hey! UUCP is an excellent way to handle email if you don't have a permanent
link. Far more efficient than monging ppp to dial up routinely then paying
for dead time while it's timing out. Since uucp is specifically a
batch-shifting protocol the line's only up for as long as needed to do the
business. It's also reliable, secure & easy to configure (now that sendmail
handles domainised uucp rewriting properly). Our organisation exchanges
around 2-300 mail messages daily on a 2-hourly poll during working hours.
Phone connect time amounts to around 2.5mins per day.

Our provider MXs all mail for our nadt.org.uk domain to their uucp host so
we can give every local user (currently around 110) a mailbox without
bothering them. I also have a number of small business personal clients who
use uucp for their organisation with great success. They can use the same
modem for dial-on-demand ppp when they want to browse, ftp etc..

ISP's reselling to dialup commercial clients should consider uucp a useful
part of a total package rather than a dinosaur. Horses for courses.

Robin.

Robin Melville, Addiction Information Services
Nottingham Alcohol & Drug Team
Tel:  +44 (0)115 952 9478       Fax:  +44 (0)115 952 9421
work: robmel@nadt.org.uk        home: robmel@innotts.co.uk
Pages: http://www.innotts.co.uk/~robmel    (home page)
       http://www.innotts.co.uk/nadt       (substance misuse pages)