Date:      Wed, 27 Aug 2008 15:20:43 -0700
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        =?WINDOWS-1252?Q?Nejc_=8Akoberne?= <nejc@skoberne.net>
Cc:        User Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Proxying broadcasts?

On Aug 27, 2008, at 2:47 PM, Nejc =8Akoberne wrote:
[ ... ]  Or, you could set up Sybase's
> I also have some Sybase SQL servers on SERVERS network, which use =20
> broadcasts to announce
> themselves to the network. Before, when there were no separate =20
> segments, everything worked fine
> of course.
>
> My question: is there any way to "proxy" (forward) broadcast =20
> requests from USERS1 to the
> SERVERS network? So the users in USERS* networks could find Sybase =20
> SQL servers via broadcasts?

The simple answer is no: if you want subnet-local broadcast traffic to =20=

be received, then your DB servers and your clients need to be on the =20
same subnet.  Routers are designed and required to not propagate =20
broadcast traffic, although you could switch to doing bridging rather =20=

than routing.  Or, you could set up Sybase's SQL.INI to list all of =20
the databases you care about, if I recall correctly...

Regards,
--=20
-Chuck