Date:      Tue, 02 Jan 2001 11:28:08 +0000
From:      Antony T Curtis <antony@abacus.co.uk>
To:        "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@peorth.iteration.net>
Cc:        Roman Shterenzon <roman@harmonic.co.il>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MFC? src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC and sound support

"Michael C . Wu" wrote:

<snip>

> "Fully functional" for a desktop implies a working sound card too.
> This is one of of those things that does not really matter very much.
> A good server admin will recompile and customize his kernel.
> And a desktop user probably does not know how to compile a kernel.
> Are you telling me that, in your consultancy, you just keep GENERIC?
>
> There is no need for this bikeshed.  Whether pcm is included in GEERIC
> or not does not really hurt anybody either way.

I have successfully compiled the sound support as a lkm.... so it
doesn't have to be in the Kernel. Just make the kernel modules available
by default then people can use it should they choose to.

--
ANTONY T CURTIS                     Tel: +44 (1635) 36222
Abacus Polar Holdings Ltd           Fax: +44 (1635) 38670