Date:      Wed, 3 Jun 1998 18:23:48 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, "Brian O'Connor" <boc@ironbark.bendigo.latrobe.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: development environments

On Wed,  3 June 1998 at  1:03:12 -0700, Doug White wrote:

There, you've gone and made me answer when I wanted to think about it
for a while...

> On Wed, 3 Jun 1998, Brian O'Connor wrote:
>
> For development, FreeBSD is quite strong.  The build environment is very
> tight and standardized.
>
>> SGI has a great varsity pack deal that gives us high level commercial
>> C++/C,fortran,cosmo(java) and ada development packages.
>
> You get all that for free from us! :)  We have the Sun JDK ported over,
> c/c++ is stock with the system, and fortran & ada can be had from the
> ports tree.

I don't think you could call the Fortran and Ada offerings "industrial
strength".

>> Is FreeBSD limited to gcc and other GNU tools?(we have found them very
>> buggy)
>
> Depends on which gcc you use.  2.7.x comes default on FreeBSD 2.2.x
> systems, and -current will probably move to gcc 2.8 when it gets stable.
> There is a gcc28 port if you want it tho.

I wonderead about this, too.  I haven't had any serious problems with
gcc.  I *have* had problems with what SGI has to offer.  Brian, what
problems did you have?  When?

> The stock berkeley cc/c++ is also provided.

Where's the stock Berkeley C/C++?  There never was a Berkeley C++ that
I knew about, and the only C compiler we have is gcc, though there are
consideration of moving to TenDRA.

I don't know what to suggest.  For non-C environments we don't offer
anything startling in the base package.  On the other hand, neither
does SGI.  You might consider calling up BSDI and asking what they can
recommend.  It will all almost certainly run on FreeBSD.

Greg