Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 1999 07:28:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@world.std.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   3.3-stable no longer booting *help*

Hi,

Problem(s):

1.  FreeBSD (3.3-stable) no longer bootable, even though
everything (partitions, disklabel?) appears to be "there" upon
examination with boot/install floppy, but I can't see anything
(yet) with the fixit floppy or CD.  Is there a "reasonably safe"
way for recovery?

2.  Linux LILO (Slackware 4 & 7) gives error message when trying
to set up BSD partition for booting.
"First sector of /dev/sdb1 doesn't contain a valid partition signature" ??
(Quoting from memory; can't get actual text right now...)
I think I can fix this if I can get FreeBSD back to working...

I've been multi-booting FreeBSD, MS-DOS & Slackware 4 for
months, just fine with LILO.  Installation of Slackware 7
appears to have overwritten something in the FreeBSD
partition/slice.  Also, reinstallation of SW4 does the same thing.

Partition (slice) layout is as follows:  (/dev/sdb)
1.  BSD (a5), start cyl 2, end cyl 197
2.  Linux boot/root (/, type 83), start cyl 199, end cyl 203
3.  DOS-extended (contains other Linux partitions)
4.  (empty)

LILO uses the MBR of sda, the 1st hdd (DOS is on that one).

What I've done before (that worked) was to delete the FreeBSD
partition (#1 in my case, SW boot is #2), install & configure my
Linux kernel & add the FreeBSD partition back in just like it
was before.  Yes, this has always worked fine...

The *major* thing I need to do now is getting FreeBSD bootable
again.  Linux is expendable for now, FreeBSD is not...

-kc