Date:      Tue, 03 Dec 1996 05:07:25 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports INDEX browser update

> > It's cute, but not extremely useful until you add three more buttons:
> >
> > 	build		install		clean
>
> Oh gee, he doesn't want much, does he? 8) I bet you want more than
> "spawn an xterm with 'make foo' in it" too, don't you?

No, that'll be fine. :-)

> > Then it will truly be a ports collection browser to recon with. :-)
>
> No, then it will be a ports collection frontend, and my brain will be
> _true_ spaghetti.  But it is a worthwhile goal, so I'll see what I
> can do 8)

Well, it's not much more than an information viewer right now (and,
BTW, it doesn't pull the full description in from the pkg/DESCR file
anywhere that I can see, either :-).

> Speaking of 'clean', is it desired behaviour for 'clean' to purge all
> ports that are prequisites for a given port?  That's a real pain for
> something like 'apsfilter' which depend on half the known universe 8(

It does that already, beyond your control, so don't worry about it.
Just do the clean for the targetted port and let it chain-clean the
rest unless the user's disabled that in his make.conf file.

Oh yeah, the Options panel should also read the actual values for
things like HAVE_MOTIF from /etc/make.conf.  :-)

					Jordan