Date:      Sun, 28 Jun 1998 17:31:31 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        joelh@gnu.org (Joel Ray Holveck), jkh@time.cdrom.com, thyerm@camtech.net.au, mike@smith.net.au, Matthew.Thyer@dsto.defence.gov.au, jlemon@americantv.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'fatal trap 12' on boot (smp and up)

> > > So, given all of that, I will now work to remove all references to
> > > fbsdboot.exe in our installation instructions and simply recommend
> > > that a boot floppy be used in *all* installation cases.
> >
> > I'm rather unclear on whether you are serious in this idea or not.
> > But if so, don't some devices need initialization code that only
> > a config.sys / fbsdboot combination can provide?  (I thought that was
> > in the handbook or something.)
>
> Yes.  This is the only way to make some "compatability mode" sound
> cards function.

Many of these are actually supported "properly" now with Luigi's code.
(Now if he'd just finish it... 8)

> It is also useful for emulation drivers to be loaded at the top of 640,
> and the memory size returned adjusted down, since BSD now respects this
> for APM support.

Unfortunately, this isn't the case.  A DOS-mode driver doesn't adjust
the BIOS memory tables (for obvious reasons), and most DOS-mode drivers
are going to want to have resources vectored to them that are simply
not available.

It was a nice idea when we were talking about it before, but basically
by the time you've reverse-engineered a driver enough to provide it
with an adequate emulation environment, you might as well rewrite it
properly.