Date:      Thu, 6 Mar 2003 14:34:57 -0600
From:      "scott mcclellan" <scottmcclellan@starband.net>
To:        <freebsd-newbies@FREEBSD.org>
Subject:   need help installing freebsd

I've got an old 386, 16meg RAM, 1Gig HD, Creative Infra 1800 CD-ROM,
with floppy capability.

About 2 years ago I formatted the hard drive (got sick of Windows
locking up on me), no longer have the boot disks, and am looking to use
the computer to learn how to program on outside of Windows (looking at
starting with Python).

Was steered toward FreeBSD, and I noticed that it would install on the
RAM I had available. Fortunately, I've noticed a number of other things
along my surfing for information. I wasn't able to get the computer to
recognize the CD-ROM. Found out through your site that a great number of
units get installed as the slave of the Secondary IDE (mine was, much to
my dismay). I've since corrected that problem, I think.

I've downloaded the 4.7 ISO image disk 1, and saw through the letters
here that I only needed that one to boot from. Thinking I had solved my
CD-ROM recognition problem, I want to boot from a CD rather than load 40
floppies into my machine.

The following is what I encounter on the screen:

"Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM : FAILURE
NO /boot/loader

>>FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
Default: 0:ad(0,a)/kernel
Boot:
No /kernel

>>FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
Default: 0:ad(0,a)/kernel
Boot:"

Any suggestions - other than throw out the "old" machine.

And yes, I'm sending this message via a working Window XP machine.

Thanks

Scott McClellan