Date:      Sat, 05 May 2007 01:49:51 +0300
From:      Diomidis Spinellis <dds@aueb.gr>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org, Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>, re@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Accounting changes

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <463B581E.6070804@aueb.gr>, Diomidis Spinellis writes:
>
>> On modern processors the various time values were 0, because many
>> commands took less than 1/64s to execute [bde].  Now time values are
>> stored with microsecond precision as float numbers.(I've written code
>> that allows the kernel to write them without any floating point
>> operations.)
>
> Why on earth introduce another time format ?
>
> Please use a standard time format please.

If we use struct timeval for the three time values the structure size
increases considerably (especially on an amd64).  Here are some numbers:

i386
Old size=48
New size=64
New size with timeval=76

amd64
Old size=56
New size=72
New size timeval=112

On a busy system this increase can be more than 10GB / month.  Is there
some other standard time format I've missed?

Diomidis