Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2000 00:47:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@kot.ne.mediaone.net>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@kot.ne.mediaone.net>, Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>, Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>, David Schwartz <davids@webmaster.com>, bde@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kern/13644

Warner Losh once stated:

=In message <200001240524.AAA46117@rtfm.newton> Mikhail Teterin writes:
=: Where  does it  guarantee that?  Man-pages say,  it is  guaranteed to
=: sleep  no MORE  then  the  timeout, not  less.  Is  there some  other
=: specification,  that's  different  from  the man-pages,  or  are  you
=: talking from the implementation point of view?
=
=The man pages say exactly:
=     If timeout is  a non-nil pointer, it specifies  a maximum interval
=     to wait for the selection to complete.
=
=Which doesn't say that it will sleep no more than this. It says that it
=will wait no longer than this for the selection to complete. It doesn't
=guarantee  anything,  imho.  It  doesn't guarnatee  that  you  will  be
=scheduled at any given time.

Yep.  But that  little, that  I was  told of  implementation, says  that
the  rounding  up is  there  to  guarantee the  sleep  of  no less  then
specified. This  is consistent  with my  experiments, which  show steady
9-10 milliseconds extra sleeping time.

=Besides, POSIX's definition of select clearly states what I said.

This is what I asked for,  when I asked for "other specification". Could
you provide the chapter/verse number of where POSIX spec contradicts the
man pages? It will help me make my  case on the TCL forum, since the TCL
developers  remain  under the  mistaken  assumption,  that select()  may
return earlier, but never later than specified.

Thanks!

	-mi