Date:      Wed, 17 Dec 1997 21:21:00 -0600
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Sony GDM-1692B in text mode?

Greg Lehey wrote:

> Well, I don't suppose there are many messages which don't belong in
> -chat, but IMO this is one.  I'm following up to -questions.

I don't want to start any wars, so -questions it is. :)

> I don't know that particular model.  Is there a problem with it?  Do
> you have any documentation about it?  What kind of connector does it
> have?  If it comes with a 15 pin VGA connector, it'll probably work
> fine in VGA mode.

Actually the subject line is incorrect, it should say GDM-1962B.
The cable is a D15 male to 13W3 female.  It won't work in just
any VGA mode.  This monitor is a fixed frequency, color monitor
that originally was shipped with a Sun IPC that I bought at work
around 1992.

> If you can't get it to display text, one alternative would be to keep
> the 13" monitor for text, and use the Sony for X.  This would mean
> adding a second board, of course.  I think the #9 will coexist with a
> cheap standard VGA.

My only concern is the boot messages really, since I run
-current and sometimes things can go awry.  I have thought
of doing something along the lines of what you are suggesting
but with a Video A/B selector box.  The big problem I have
is lack of desk space on which to put a third monitor, which
is why I asked if anybody had this beast working in text mode. :)

I don't profess to know much about video cards, but is there
anyway for it to tell that it is attached to a fixed frequency
monitor?  Or is it possible to kludge up a kernel to set the
required HSYNC/VSYNC frequencies early on in the boot sequence?

Hmm... maybe I should ask the above questions in -hackers
instead of -questions? :)

Steve