Date:      Wed, 23 May 2007 00:47:28 -0700
From:      Andriy Babiy <ABabiy@shaw.ca>
To:        FreeBSD-questions <FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xorg 7.2 start problem

> You need at least the following ports:
>
>   x11-drivers/xf86-video-mga
>   x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse
>   x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard

I wanted to thank everybody who helped me. I added those ports, and that
fixed the problem I had before. So, I was able to issue:
X -configure
and obtain xorg.conf.new file. I checked the configuration and found that
the hardware was recognized without errors. The pathes were changed
to /usr/local accordingly.

But when I issue:
X -config /root/xorg.conf.new

the X server doesn't start; it fails with the message:

Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'

I checked xorg.conf.new and found that the pathes to appropriate fonts are
listed there, namely:

xorg-fonts-100dpi-7.2
xorg-fonts-75dpi-7.2
xorg-fonts-cyrillic-7.2
xorg-fonts-miscbitmaps-7.2
xorg-fonts-truetype-7.2
xorg-fonts-type1-7.2

I checked all the directories; they exist, and their contents exist. I
tried mkfontdir in each of them, but it changed nothing.

Maybe, you could advise me what I need to do in order to resolve it, apart
from rebuilding the whole thing. Thank you very much in advance!

Andriy