Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 2004 18:49:49 -0400
From:      Forrest Aldrich <forrie@forrie.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   When your dynamic IP changes...

For the most part, my cable system stays on 24x7, thus my IP address
remains the same (often for the duration of a year).  However there are
times when unpredictable things happen, such as outages, that will cause
your IP to change.

I have a number of internal and external dependencies that rely upon
this IP address.  For the most part, I've not had to change these much -
however, when it happens, it's a PITA.

- ipfw rules
- mysql tables
- apache configuration
- /etc/hosts
- named.conf (possibly)

and more.  Including needing to update external DNS, which could be
addressed by using a dyndns.org name, and set your DNS to that hostname.

I could whip up a script using M4 to dynamically change the ipfw rules
and point /etc/rc.conf to a different script.

I'm curious if anyone else has come up with a nifty scheme to make this
less painful when it happens -- other than the obvious idea of getting a
provider that supports fixed IP addresses ;-)

Someone suggested to me the GNU CFEngine, too -- seems a bit complex for
this task, though.

Thanks...