Date:      Sat, 19 Feb 2000 22:31:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>, Victor Salaman <salaman@teknos.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: openssl in -current

On Sun, 20 Feb 2000, Garance A Drosihn wrote:

> This will be a lot easier once the patent expires.  We would probably

Yes.

> be better off sticking with the ports-version until then, so we don't
> have to delay 4.0-release until all the issues are sorted out.  If
> 4.0 is delayed, I want it delayed for things which are actually busted,
> and not to move features from the ports collection to the base system.

No-one's talking about delaying 4.0.

> I think everyone agrees that having a cryptography toolkit in the
> base system would be great, but we don't have to have it for *this*
> release, and there are no "cool things" for *this* release which
> depend on some cryptography toolkit being part of the base system.

Except it's not just this release, it's "for the life of the 4.x branch"
given the rules of what should get put into -stable. I really don't want
to have to wait another year or more for 5.0-RELEASE before we can start
making use of crypto in the recommended version of FreeBSD.

Kris

----
"How many roads must a man walk down, before you call him a man?"
"Eight!"
"That was a rhetorical question!"
"Oh..then, seven!" -- Homer Simpson