Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 06:34:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      <scanner@jurai.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   BSDi's replies to why BSDi sucks...

I was about to go to bed early this morning when one billh (Bill
Huey) from BSDi comes waltzing in. And right after someone on the FreeBSD
project just happened to get me steamed about his comments towards FreeBSD
commiters. So I woke up enough to beat him with a cluebat about wtf is up
with BSDi. Very litte is quoted mostly paraphrased. What is quoted is
quoted.

I found out pretty much nothing I want to know. This biggest thing's I
found out were the follwing:

o FreeBSD has no management. By FreeBSD I mean the OSD
  side. None. Zip. Zero. He said it was implied Jordan was supposed to
  take the reigns for that he but never did. And so they are not managed
  because no one is stepping up to the plate from the OSD side.

o There is alot of friction between the BSD/OS side and the OSD people.
  Mainly because of stupid things the OSD wont accept and that should
  never have happened.

o I asked him why the management of BSDi is NOT funding or supporting the
  the OSD people or FreeBSD? His reply was as noted in point one, no one
  has stepped up to manage the OSD people. And until someone does..
  He also noted like I said Jordan was supposed to manage the OSD side
  not just be a "release engineer". But either Jordan didnt quite
  understand that or there was miscommunication when WC was purchased.

o The reason they were waiting on someone from the OSD side to step up
  and manage the OSD side was because they thought it would be viewed as a
  threat if the BSD/OS side managed OSD. He said the BSD/OS side has
  funding and similiar problems but that *they* have a manager to GET them
  these things. "Stuff can happen if folks step up to the role".

o He is claiming to talk to the FreeBSD populous which I gather is why he
  was on IRC to "clear some of the air and confusion about BSDi". Sounds
  like PR to me. If things are looking bad PR over it.

o When I asked him isn't the BSDi side *curious why* almost all of your
  OSD people have *quit*? I told him because of no support and no funding.
  He is aware of the lack of funding and support. He said "we'll have to
  pressure some folks lightly and see what happens". Sounds REAL
  convining. Dont try so hard!

o I also asked him why FreeBSD is not being pushed. I mean promoted and
  really put out there. He said see point one again. Lack of OSD
  management.

o So I said Nothing gets fixed till someone from the OSD side steps up
  and *manages* the OSD people? "Yeah, that's the preferred solution, yes"
  "but it's beginning to look like it's going to have to come from the
  commercial systems group. which wasn't supposed to happen since we don't
  know many of the FreeBSD folks."

o He also acknowledged alot of problems in upper management. But said that
  those that could do anything are still tired from the AT&T lawsuit.
  That leaves like what 2 or 3 people from the CSRG that are *at* BSDi?
  So basically I guess he is saying they are to tired to give a crap as
  BSDi gows down the drain. Cant be bothered to fix the problems.

I don't know how much of the above is accurate he seems to be on the left.
And the OSD folks on the right. But as many people have noticed. FreeBSD
is bringing in a LARGE chunk of change for BSDi and they are just pissing
away the developers and resources for FreeBSD. So if management is really
the problem on the OSD side why has this not been resolved? If it isn't
true tell me so I can rebut that fact to him. I just want to try and get
things fixed. Im pretty sure it had very little to do with management of
the OSD people because FreeBSD never had people quitting in droves when
it was WC in the captains chair.

*grumble*

-Chris Watson         (316) 326-3862 | FreeBSD Consultant, FreeBSD Geek
Work:              scanner@jurai.net | Open Systems Inc., Wellington, Kansas
Home:  scanner@deceptively.shady.org | http://open-systems.net
WINDOWS: "Where do you want to go today?"
LINUX: "Where do you want to go tommorow?"
BSD: "Are you guys coming or what?"