Date:      Sun, 09 Jun 2013 20:46:04 -0800
From:      Peter Giessel <pgiessel@mac.com>
Subject:   Re: which reader/tablet/<whatever>

On 2013, Jun 9, at 19:13, Gary Kline <kline@thought.org> wrote:

>    can I put
> 	freebsd on these tablet devices?

Personally, I don't see how another O.S. would work on the tablet =
devices.  They don't have any of the hardware other O.S.'s assume (such =
as a keyboard), and they have such proprietary hardware.  The hardware =
is so "touch centric", than running a non-touch O.S. does not seem wise, =
but I could be wrong.

>  if I bought, say, WAR AND PIECE
> 	or something out of copyright  { schopenhauer or marcus aurelius =
}
> 	that is in text, how do I get it to whatever tablet I have? =20
> 	right now we've got cable and I use the telco for my server.
> 	I know that works, but it is only good for my computer network.
>=20
> 	but say I wanted to keep things simple and buy some kind of =
kindle
> 	or nook.  how does amazon.com or bn.com get their new ebooks =
onto
> 	my reader?

All of the tablet type devices I'm aware of can access the internet =
through WiFi, which allows them to download the various books.  Many of =
them now also have a 4g type cellular antenna which can be used (with a =
subscription for network access through your favorite telecom) to =
download your favorite book.

I admit I'm most familiar with putting books on Apple tablet devices.  =
PDFs or ePubs can be e-mailed to the device, which opens well in their =
reading app.  The devices allow any text (including I suppose, plain =
text) on the screen to be "spoken" by the device.