Date:      Wed, 20 Jan 1999 07:45:37 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Patrick Seal <patseal@hyperhost.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wdtimeout() status 58 (wdunwedge failed)

Patrick Seal wrote:

> I have some more information to add.
>
> Now I'm getting a more serious error(s): (actually a few screensful, here
> is a sample)
>
> wd0: wdunwedge failed
> wd0: status 58<rdy,seekdone,drq> error 0
> wd0: Last time I say: interupt timeout. Probably a portable PC.:
> wd0: status 51<rdy,seekdone,drq> error 4<abort>
> wd0: wdtimeout() DMA status 4
> wd0s1a: wdstart: timeout waiting to give command reading fsbn 4539536 of
> 4539536-4539591 (wd0s1 bn 4539536; cn 562 tn 120 sn 8)wd0: status
> a0<busy,wrtflt> error 1a<no_id,tr000>
>
> then it gets a hard errer reading fsbn, swap_pager: indefinite wait buffer
> and a few other goodies.  The thing about a portable computer is
> interesting, anyone interested in explaining that one to me?

Hmmm... Sounds like the drive might be failing... I don't like the 'error
4<abort>' bit... The 'Probable a portable PC' comment is thrown up after the
drive fails to signal with an interrupt...
This is usually as the drive has spun down (ala laptop style), hence the
hopefully useful message...

By the look of the above I'd guess the drive is having a good try at reading
the data (causing the first warning) - then finally fails - giving the
second...

Check cabling etc. - but it really sounds like the drive is going bad :(
(wrtflt = writefault?)

-Kp