Date:      Thu, 01 Jul 2004 23:58:15 +0100
From:      Alasdair Lumsden <enquiries@alivewww.com>
To:        Paul Saab <ps@mu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3Ware 8506 Series, 3DM, Upgrading to 9000 Series

On Thu, 2004-07-01 at 22:51, Paul Saab wrote:
> Have you gotten a crashdump after one of these lockups?

I've got debugging symbols enabled in the kernel, and dumpdev set in
rc.conf - if the box panics then the crash dump information gets written
to /var/crash on next boot. However with this particular problem there
is no panic.

The Raid array simply stops responding. FreeBSD is still running, as
timeout messages appear on the console, but it doesn't respond to user
input. The only thing you can do is to reboot the box.

Since it's a production box we have to simply have it rebooted ASAP, so
kernel debugging over serial isn't really an option.

If it does it again hopefully I'll be able to extract more useful
information from the console history.