Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 1997 14:57:01 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD and VME

Has anybody ever done or considered using FreeBSD for VME IO
solutions?

We're looking into Pentium-based Single Board Computer that
drops into a VMEbus backplane.  One board, that we have in-house
for another project, is the General Micro Systems V254 Mustang.
It's got dual P166 with on-board Ethernet and SCSI (DEC 21140
and Adaptec 7880 UW).  I booted FreeBSD on it and it recognized
everything, but I haven't had time to do an install and play
around on it anymore.

The VMEbus is interfaced to the PCI bus by the Universe VMEbus
interface chip made by Tundra (formerly Newbridge Microsystems).
Luckily, all the manuals for the chip are available at Tundras
web site (http://www.tundra.com/Tundra/Products/Bus/BPI/Universe.html).

How hard would it be to create a VMEbus driver for this?  The project
under consideration would only need to memory map VME devices, but
having the ability to config a VME device at an address and VME
interrupt priority/vector would be great for future work.

Thanks,

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org