Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2001 01:42:28 -0600 (CST)
From:      Tim Zingelman <zingelman@fnal.gov>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Subject:   Re: can't build 4.3-BETA GENERIC kernel with -g

On Thu, 15 Mar 2001, Tim Zingelman wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, Matt Dillon wrote:
>
> > :Am I missing something here... is this the wrong way to build a kernel
> > :with debug symbols?  Any help is appreciated.
> >
> >   The correct solution is to add the following to your kernel
> >   configuration file.  That is, the file /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/YOURKERNEL,
> >   NOT make.conf.
> > makeoptions     DEBUG="-g"
>
> The result is the same...
>
> make.conf now has:
>  CFLAGS= -pipe
>  COPTFLAGS= -pipe
>
> and I just removed the # from the line:
>  makeoptions     DEBUG=-g
> in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC

It turns out the problem has to do with my having removed the -O from
either CFLAGS or COPTFLAGS.

I built & installed world/kernel with -O -pipe, then later tried to make
kernel with just -pipe and it failed (with or without debug)... I guess if
I buildworld with -O I must build my kernel with -O.  Is there any problem
getting info out of a crashdump if the kernel is compiled -O (along with -g)

Now that I've restored the -O, a debug GENERIC builds just fine.  I had no
idea that I could not mix -O and non -O code... sorry about that.

  - Tim