Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 15:57:30 +0800 (JST)
From:      <noelt@rani.pworld.net.ph>
To:        Khetan Gajjar <khetan@os.org.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD installation on a 486DX2

Hi Khetan! Thanks for your responds...

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Khetan Gajjar wrote:

> Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 01:10:06 +0200 (SAST)
> From: Khetan Gajjar <khetan@link.freebsd.os.org.za>
> To: noelt@rani.pworld.net.ph
> Cc: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re: FreeBSD installation on a 486DX2
>
> On Tue, 28 Sep 1999 noelt@rani.pworld.net.ph wrote:
>
> >> 1. Can FreeBSD recognize/compatible to a seagate data manager? How
> >>    will I do it with 2 OS (win95/FreeBSD)
>
> I presume you mean the overlay software that loads before the
> system boots ? I'm not sure, but you shouldn't need this
> overlay software. FreeBSD should detect the drive
> and probe it correctly. Only way to check is to
> actually do it however :-(
>
> The problem is that you need to ensure that FreeBSD is installed
> below the 1024th cylinder, otherwise it won't work with the
> default boot manager.

I tried this. I have a seagate 3.2GB and install a data manager to be
able to recognized my whole hard disk and I create one partition(220 MB).

I boot and it's ok. Seagate data manager first appear then the dos booting
session.

I installed the FreeBSD and create two slice partition. One partition has
a 250MB for / and another partition which shares /usr /swap. I was able
to installed nicely w/o any problem.

Upon booting, Seagate manager appears followed by the boot easy of
FreeBSD, I press F1 for dos and were able to boot successfully.

Tried to boot again and press F2 for FreeBSD. It says "not ufs" and
hang up. Meaning, I can not boot to FreeBSD.

Could you tell me were did I go wrong?

> >> 1. How can I configure the dialup. I tried running minicom and
> >>    whenever I connect it says it "already online hangup first".
> >>    I tried to reconnect and it dial and say's no carrier.
>
> I don't understand what you're trying to do. If you wish to establish
> a PPP connection through a dialup, read
> http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/
> and click on Pedantic PPP Primer.

I am trying to configure my ppp so i can dial to my ISP whether kpp dialer
or thru commnad line.

I aprreciate so much whatever help you may extent on me.

noelt.