Date:      Sun, 25 Aug 2002 12:47:28 -0400
From:      David Banning <david@skytrackercanada.com>
To:        Jeff Jensen <jeffreyjensen1@cox.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FW: Why Should I switch to FreeBSD?

> > am currently 15 years of age.  I am extremely interested in computers,
> > specifically UNIX and OpenGL Programming (specifically).  I was born
> and
> > raised in windows 3.1 and 95 however due to my extreme disappointment
> > with the latest windows, Windows XP I decided to dual boot windows xp
> > (for GL programming) and linux (mandrake 9.0 beta 2).  My question is,
> > is there any real reason for me to switch from linux to BSD?  Is there

Given that you are experimenting and learning, I don't know that there
is any specific advantage. FreeBSD is not broken up into different
versions like redhat, mandrake... so we are all operating off the same
page, so to speak. The way I look at it, this is a major factor. In
anytning I do, I look for the quality of the support. FreeBSD's community
is knowledgable and helpful, and seems to be a consistent body of individuals
who are commited to the product. In my experience, Linux mailing lists
can be like windows support - al over the place in terms of the kind of
advice that you receive.

FreeBSD does not use RPM's. We use something called ports. It is much
better in my view. Scripts written in the ports test to see what is installed
before installing a given package. If the support is not there, it automaically
downloads the support packages and installs them. It is really amazing to watch
happen before your eyes.

In early unix days, unix became split in it's development between the
private sector (systemV I believe) and the educational sector (BSD).
From my experience, Linux more closely resembles systemV.

You will find that while most Linux programs run on FreeBSD very well
under Linux emulation, there are not as many drivers supported. FreeBSD
does not support as easily junky windows hardware. FreeBSD in general
is not attempting to emulate windows or provide an environment for
graphics intensive games.

Waiting for 5.0 to come out is not necessary. Any recent verion will do.
You can upgrade any time, which in itself is a fun and educational
experience.

For someone like yourself, who is interested in learning, it is great to
have thousands of programs in the ports which you can install and experiment
with.

Others may have something to add -
good luck with your decision -

Cheers -

> > much of a difference?  I have tried installing it before to no avail
> > however I am much more confident in my UNIX skills now after using
> linux
> > a lot more lately.
> >
> > I am interested in contributing to FreeBSD as well.  However, I am not
> > sure about the availability of 3d acceleration in freebsd.  I know
> that
> > is more of an xFree86 thing (which has experimental support) but is
> > getting GL to work in FreeBSD the same as getting it to work in linux
> > (which I could not do)?  Does FreeBSD offer GL libraries installed
> right
> > out of the box?
> >
> > Should I wait for FreeBSD 5.0 before I switch?  Will there be much of
> > difference with 5.0?
> >
> > Thank you so much and please respond I would really appreciate it.
> You
> > guys rock.
>
> Thanks for the message, Jeff.  You appear to have chosen us because
> we're all the members of the FreeBSD Core team, which is an
> administrative body.
>
> You should address your questions to FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org.
> See http://www.FreeBSD.org/ for more information, including how to
> subscribe to the questions list.
>
> Greg
> --
> See complete headers for address and phone numbers

Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing.