Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 2003 22:23:34 +0100
From:      Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Putting MD5 checksums on the web site

Hi,
On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 09:55:56AM -0800, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
> I was about to say GREAT IDEA, because my practice has been to get an
> ISO from one mirror and its MD5 from a different mirror.

same here.

Does www.freebsd.org count?

> But the extra security step could be rendered worthless if you happen to
> get the "official" MD5 from the same mirror I get my ISO from (so they
> could both be tampered versions), as I infer from the last quoted line.
> I hope I've misunderstood something.

Yes.  They idea is to have somebody from the security-officer team
collect the MD5s when the ISOs are complete on the building machines,
stuff them all into one file, and sign that with the security-officer
key.  The next step would be to add the file to the CVS repository
and to add the neccessary make foo so that the file is available from
www.freebsd.org.

Afterwards, you could just point your browser to any web mirror and
retrieve the file from there.  This is already in place for 4.7R,
check http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.7R/CHECKSUM-i386.MD5

Of course, it's pretty easy for me to propose this, because i don't
have to do the work ;)

/s/Udo
--
"God, root, where's the difference?" (http://www.userfriendly.org)