Date:      Sun, 9 Jul 2000 17:23:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      papowell@astart.com
To:        darren@nighttide.net, papowell@astart.com
Cc:        andrews@technologist.com, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, drosih@rpi.edu, imp@village.org, nik@FreeBSD.ORG, sheldonh@uunet.co.za, will@almanac.yi.org
Subject:   Re: Bringing LPRng into FreeBSD? - License Issues

> > What is wrong with retaining the ability to display copyright
> > information from the command line options?  What undue burden does
> > it place on commercial users of FreeBSD?  And if they modify the
>
> Yet another license variation.
>
> > code,  wouldn't it be good Systems Engineering Practice to have
> > some way to verify that?
>
> They have to retain the copyright info in the source so the information is
> there.
>
> The package is in ports and it doesn't seem anyone is advocating that it
> be removed. If it is to be in the primary distribution then it should have
> the same, not the same with a proviso, license, if at all possible. If it
> can not have the same license then there needs to be some hugely overiding
> need to bring in into the core. That doesn't seem to be the case.

> Darren Henderson                                  darren@nighttide.net
>
>                    Help fight junk e-mail, visit http://www.cauce.org/

The problem is that you can have binary only distributions, and
then you cannot see the version information.  You may also have versions
that are 'invisible' and cannot even examine the binaries for license
information.  For example,  you can put together a PicoBSD system
for a say, firewall, that does not have any easy command line method
to determine the version of software being run.  I have run into
this too many times...

Let me explain how I would put the LPRng distribution into the
FreeBSD Project.

Say for the sake of argument you put it into the 'contrib' tree:

/usr/src/contrib/LPRng/Makefile            <---
                       LPRng-VERSION/....  <- standard distribution

(You would also have this in the Ports Tree:
/usr/ports/sysutils/LPRng/Makefile
                          work/LPRng-VERSION  <- untarred image
)

To put the latest version of LPRng into the contrib tree
you would do:

     cd /usr/src/contrib/LPRng
	 rm -rf LPRng-OldVERSION
     tar zxvf LPRng-VERSION
     make newversion VERSION=LPRng-VERSION <- target in Makefile

At this point all of the Makefiles are set up for simply doing:

     cd /usr/src/contrib/LPRng
     make all install

Now you might wonder about the 'make newversion' stuff.

Here is a 'toy template' of the makefile that would be used:

# $FreeBSD: src/usr.sbin/lpr/Makefile,v 1.5 1999/08/28 01:16:45 peter Exp $

SUBDIR= ${VERSION}
VERSION=LPRng-VERSION
CONFIGURE_OPTIONS=.........  BSD_MAKE=YES

# Use this to update Makefile for the latest version

update:
   perl -spi 's/^VERSION=.*/VERSION=${VERSION}/' Makefile

# Use this after you have updated the Makefile with the new
# version

configure:
  cd $(VERSION); ./configure ${CONFIGURE_OPTIONS}

newversion:
	# you want to use the update Makefile
	${MAKE} update
	${MAKE} configure

.include <bsd.subdir.mk>

Ummm... any resemblance between this code and the code in the
ports distribution Makefile is intentional.

OK, now what about the fact that LPRng uses (by default) GNU Make?

The BSD_MAKE=YES will cause configure to invoke a perl script that
updates the GNU Make Makefile to the BSD Make Makefile.  Turns out
that there are only a very few places where things are different
and I have been through this once already.

Patrick Powell                 Astart Technologies,
papowell@astart.com            9475 Chesapeake Drive, Suite D,
Network and System             San Diego, CA 92123
  Consulting                   858-874-6543 FAX 858-279-8424
LPRng - Print Spooler (http://www.astart.com)