Date:      Tue, 22 Feb 2005 14:06:54 +0100
From:      Ramiro Aceves <ea1abz@wanadoo.es>
To:        Ramiro Aceves <ea1abz@wanadoo.es>
Cc:        freebsd-questions-en <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Questions about ports

Ramiro Aceves wrote:
> Hello FreeBSD friends
>
> I have a question about ports. I have installed FreeBSD 5.3 on a AMD 400
> MHz machine with 64 MB RAM, so it is not a fast machine for compiling
> big programs! :-). The problem I am going to tell you, happened to me
> several weeks ago into another slower machine (Pentium 75 in which there
> is no OS now), and I can not remember some details, so  I am sorry if I
> am not too acurate. I suppose I will run into this problem again with
> the AMD machine so I would like to understand it better.
>

> 1- I  installed mozilla 1.7.2-2,2 from the packages on the CDROM.
> 2- I cvsuped the ports collection.
> 3- I installed and compiled some programs from the updated ports
> collection.
> 4- Mozilla did not work anymore cause in needs atk-1.6.1.
>
> Mozilla in the package is 1.7.2_2,2 and depends on atk-1.6.1
> If I install programs from the updated ports tree, atk-1.8.0 was
> installed for another port and atk-1.6.1 removed, but mozilla on the
> CDROM package wants atk-1.6.1. So, If I try to install again from the
> cdrom, it cant cause atk-1.8.0 is installed.
>
> Compilling mozilla in this slow machine is not reasonable, so:
>
> Can I download a more updated mozilla package acording to my updated
> ports collection? I have browsed pkg_add man pages and believe that the
> environment variables PACKAGESITE and PACKAGEROOT need to be set so that
> pkg_add can fetch more updated packages. Am I right? Where should they
> point to?
>
> I will use pkg_add only for big programs, and I can use the ports
> collectio to compile the little ones.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Ramiro.

Hey friends!,  am I on your e-mail black list? ;-)

It is strange that nobody has answered my question. I have been
investigating further. Do you think I should download packages (not
ports) from 5-stable instead from 5.3 release?

I mean, are 5-stable packages closer to an up to date ports collection?

I am waiting for a good advice before messing my ports!

Thanks.

Ramiro.