Date:      Tue, 30 Jul 2013 15:42:08 +0200 (CEST)
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        tevans.uk@googlemail.com
Cc:        demelier.david@gmail.com, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bind in FreeBSD, security advisories

> > For years, a lot of security advisories have been present for bind.
> > I'm just guessing if it's not a good idea to remove bind from base?
> >
> > This will probably free by half the number of FreeBSD SA's in the future.
> >

> Sure, but no bind in base also implies no dig, nslookup or host.

Exactly. It's a slippery slope - if we continue removing useful
functionality from FreeBSD there are fewer and fewer arguments for
why one should use FreeBSD and not Linux.

Yes, I know everything can be installed from packages/ports. Two of
*my* main reasons for using FreeBSD is that:

1. It's an integrated *system*, not just a kernel.
2. The base system contains a lot of the useful functionality I need.

and every contrib part which is removed, detracts from this.

YMMV.