Date:      Sat, 19 May 2007 05:36:18 -0400
From:      Eric Millbrandt <emillbrandt@coldhaus.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD on a Fujitsu Stylistic Tablet PC

Here are the results of my efforts to install freebsd on a tablet pc.
My tablet is a Fujitsu Stylistic ST5030.  It has a 12" XGA screen with a
Wacom Penabled screen with an active digitizer.  The tablet has no
keyboard or cdrom drive so the initial installation can be tricky.
FreeBSD installation is very well documented so I will just highlight
the snafus.

Installation:

You will need a USB keyboard, or the Fujitsu IR keyboard, and external
cdrom drive.  If you are clever you could install over the Ethernet port
or wireless card instead of using the external drive.

Xorg configuration:

The Wacom Penabled screen is connected to the system via /dev/sio1 at
irq 4 over port 0x220, so you will need to modify your device.hints file.

To create you xorg.conf Xorg -configure will do most of the heavy
lifting.  The wacom drivers included in Xorg do not drive the mouse
successfully and are not even included in Xorg 7.2.  Working drivers can
be found from http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/.  The already built
driver can be copied from /prebuilt/wacom_drv.so to
/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/input/.  You will then need to add
additional sections your xorg.conf.

These need to be placed in your ServerLayout.

    InputDevice    "cursor" "SendCoreEvents"
    InputDevice    "stylus" "SendCoreEvents"

These sections also need to be added.

Section "InputDevice"
    Driver  "wacom"
    Identifier      "cursor"
    Option        "Device" "/dev/cuad1"
    Option        "Type" "cursor"
    Option        "ForceDevice" "ISDV4"
    Option        "Mode" "Absolute"
    Option        "TPCButton" "on"
    Option        "KeepShape" "1"
    Option        "ScreenNo" "0"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Driver  "wacom"
    Identifier      "stylus"
    Option        "Device" "/dev/cuad1"
    Option        "Type" "stylus"
    Option        "Button1" "1"
    Option        "Button2" "2"
    Option        "Button3" "3"
    Option        "ScreenNo" "0"
EndSection

You can get a detail description of these options from the wacom man
page included in tarball.  Now you should be able to run 'startx' and
use the wacom pen as your mouse.

Additional configuration:

You are probably going to want to use your tablet as it was intended,
without a keyboard.
Once Xorg has started you can use a virtual keyboard to do your typing.
xvkbd works well.  It can be found under /usr/ports/x11/xvkbd.  But what
to do before Xorg starts?  Edit /etc/ttys and change 'no' to 'yes' in
this line.
ttyv4    "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"    xterm    off  secure
Now xdm will handle logging into the system and starting Xorg.  You will
probably want xvkbd to be started so that you can logon using only your
pen.  Edit /usr/local/lib/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0 and add xvkbd to the list of
programs to start.  You can leave xvkbd running as user root, but I find
that not being able to kill it annoying.  Edit
/usr/local/lib/X11/xdm/GiveConsole and add 'killall -9 xvkbd'.

Optional features:

I run a dual boot system with windowsXP.  The default FreeBSD bootloader
lets you select which os to boot with F-keys.  The only keys you will
find on are arrow keys, enter, and some other misc. stuff.  The GRUB
bootloader, /usr/ports/sysutils/grub, supports using these keys to
select your os.

One of the nice features found in windows is screen rotation.  Xorg can
also handle screen rotation using xrandr.  What does not support
rotation, without some help, is your pen.  You need to build xsetwacom,
found in the linuxwacom tarball you downloaded, to rotate the pen on the
fly.  I wrote a small script to run both xrandr and xsetwacom.

Another feature of the tablet that you might want to use is the external
monitor port.  Details about how to do this are found in the i810 man
page.  Unfortunately there is a bug in the Xorg i810 driver and the
915GM video chip which makes setting up dual monitors tricky.  I cannot
explain the specific details about this issue, but I can explain the
workaround.  915resolution, /usr/ports/sysutils/915resolution, needs to
be run before Xorg starts.  Now you can use the external monitor port.

What does not work:

I have yet to find any utility to run the keyboard buttons on the
tablet.  acpi_fujitsu.ko does not seem to support the Stylistic line of
tablets.