Date:      Fri, 13 May 2005 08:40:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Paco Hope <paco@paco.to>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using jails and djbdns

On Fri, 13 May 2005, Joan Picanyol i Puig wrote:

> * Tony Arcieri <tarcieri@atmos.colostate.edu> [20050513 03:21]:
> > Is there some easy way to reverse this order, so svscan is started first and
> > jails started afterward?
>
> Follow the author's instructions, and put this line into /etc/rc.local:
>
> csh -cf '/command/svscanboot &'

I don't think any of the suggestions so far are going to do it.  The
reason is this: both /etc/rc.local and all things in /usr/local/etc/rc.d
will be executed after the builtin logid for launching jails is
executed.

The problem here is that if you use the standard /etc/rc.conf means for
launching jails, (take a look at /etc/defaults/rc.conf for an example),
the jail commands will be executed first.  The last thing /etc/rc does is
invoke /etc/rc.local and all the /usr/local/etc/rc.d scripts.  His problem
is that he needs DNS up *before* the jail commands run.

Here's a hackish way to do it that might work.

1. Move the /usr/local/etc/rc.d/svscan.sh script out of
/usr/local/etc/rc.d.  Maybe put it in /usr/local/etc.  Just put it
somewhere where it won't get executed automatically.

2. Put the following lines in /etc/rc.conf
named_enable="YES"
named_program="/usr/local/etc/svscan.sh" # (if this is where you put it)
named_flags="start"
unset named_chrootdir # defeat some built-in BIND-oriented logic
unset named_chroot_autoupdate # ditto

The logic built into /etc/rc launches DNS before jails.  By hijacking the
"named" flags and using them for DJB, you should be able to get DJB to
launch at the appropriate time.

Good luck.

Paco