Date:      Wed, 06 May 1998 05:10:10 GMT
From:      jak@cetlink.net (John Kelly)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu
Subject:   Multicast, routed, 224.0.0.0, etc.

>From the archives:

> Subject: bin/6359: Problem with routed(8) router discovery client
> Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 14:17:05 -0400 (EDT)
>
> 15 Apr 1998 13:53:37, mcambria@lucent.com said:
>
> > When I configure a default route (which defeats the purpose of
> > router discovery), the error messages go away.
>
> You need a multicast default route.  This used to be obvious in the
> old sysconfig framework:
>
> #static_routes="foo multicast"
> #route_foo="woofo woofo-gw"
> #route_multicast="224.0.0.0 -netmask 0xf0000000 -interface 10.0.0.1"
>
> -GAWollman

Thanks!  For anyone wanting to run routed, it would be very helpful if
this was documented in the newer rc.conf framework.

> 13 Dec 1995 10:21:45, Raul Zighelboim <mango@communique.net> said:

> > The problem is in:
> > # route_multicast="224.0.0.0 -netmask 0xf0000000 -interface ${hostname}"
> > # route_loopback="${hostname} localhost"
>
> > If I uncomment this line in sysconfig, the system will not boot.
>
> This line is broken.  It /never/ correct to refer to hosts by this
> early in the configuration process, and more importantly, host names
> DO NOT NAME INTERFACES.
>
> The correct way to set this up is as follows:
>
> route_multicast="224.0.0.0 -netmask 0xf0000000 -interface IP.OF.DESIRED.IFACE"

Thanks again!!!

> 16 Feb 1995 10:15:50, jg@euronet.nl (Jan_Guldemond) said:

> > When booting BSD, /etc/netstart executes:
> > route add 224.0.0.0 -netmask 0xf0000000 -interface $hostname
>
> > Does anyone know what this route add does. I don't understand what the
> > 224.0.0.0 stands for...
>
> This sets the default interface for outgoing multicast packets.

What if you have two ethernet interfaces?  Will router discovery
packets be sent out to both interfaces when the 224.0.0.0 static
default route points to only one of them?

> I hope to have code in 2.1 which will obviate the need for most people
> to do this.

Did that ever happen?

> Having a separate route is important for recent values of -current to
> ensure that there are no cloned routes to multicast destinations.

Would you explain that further?