Date:      Wed, 15 Oct 2008 08:59:22 -0400
From:      "Mike M" <the.lists@mgm51.com>
To:        unxfbsdi@gmail.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to get my Dad's Win2k system to access internet through my FreeBSD 6.2 system

On 10/14/2008 at 12:03 PM peter@bsdly.net wrote:

|Manish Jain <unxfbsdi@gmail.com> writes:
|
|> I am poor at networking and need a little bit of help. My dad has a
|> Windows 2000 machine with a network card but does not have a connection
|> to the internet.
|
|When I started writing this, I thought that system had been abandoned
|already, but it appears Microsoft will offer a measure of support
|through next year sometime.  Do see that the system gets properly
|updated before you put it on the net.
 =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Important advice.

I also run Windows 2000 on my home PCs (the ones that are still in the=
 Windows world).    Security updates are still being offered by Microsoft=
 (through next June, I believe).

It is important to bring your Dad's install of Windows 2000 up to the=
 current patch level.  A visit to Windows Update will do the trick for the=
 Windows software.   Other things (e.g., Adobe's Flash, Acrobat reader,=
 etc.) may also need a version refresh to be safe for the 'Net.