Date:      Sun, 17 Feb 2002 22:28:32 +0000
From:      Hiten Pandya <hiten@uk.FreeBSD.org>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: in-kernel HTTP Server for FreeBSD?

--LZvS9be/3tNcYl/X

On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 11:05:04AM -0800, John Polstra wrote:
> Yes, I wrote one.  Yes, it's proprietary.
>=20
> One obvious example is as part of a testbed for performance=20
> testing various kinds of network appliances.

hmm,
Well, so, forgive my bluntness, in a nutshell, there is no
in-kernel (un-proprietory) HTTP Server.  Also, as John said,
it is very useful in some situations.  As you visit the kHTTPD
website at:

http://www.fenrus.demon.nl/

You will see how much performance it offers, compared to=20
userland web servers.  I don't mean polluting the kernel
with this kind of stuff, but I wouldn't mind having an
in-kernel HTTP Accelerator (for static pages).

Nothing so fancy, but, just to do its job, which it is
good at: "Providing static pages". Anyway, I don't mean
that people have to make it.  I know I talk to too much,
and do less, :), but I will start a project at SourceForge,
unless somebody has better options. ;)

In a nutshell, it is better to have an in-kernel web
server, as some people might like using it, even though
it doesn't matter what we say, hehe :)

Thanks,
Regards,

  -- Hiten Pandya