Date:      Thu, 16 Jun 2005 09:47:47 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Darren Pilgrim <dmp@bitfreak.org>
Cc:        'Vladimir Grebenschikov' <vova@fbsd.ru>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, 'Matthew Emmerton' <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: OpenBSD dhclient incoming

--dc+cDN39EJAMEtIO

On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 05:38:10PM -0700, Darren Pilgrim wrote:
> From: Brooks Davis
> > There are two issues here.  First, if we're going to keep
> > network_interfaces around, /etc/rc.d/dhclient should honor
> > it and not start dhclient on interfaces not in either
> > network_interfaces or removable interfaces.
>=20
> I think network_interfaces should be gotten rid of entirely for two
> reasons:
>=20
> 1: It creates a synchronization issue between it and the ifconfig_*
> lines and duplicates functionality.  IIRC, rc.conf being out of sync in
> this way has tripped up users in the past.
>=20
> 2: There are real configurations in which some interfaces are not
> available when netif is run at boot.  One example is the many newer
> mini-PCI wireless NICs that require a firmware upload.  Devd is the
> accepted tool for performing such tasks, but rcordering puts devd after
> NETWORKING.  The actions taken by devd must therefore include steps
> taken by netif.  Calling the rc.d scripts directly from devd avoids
> local scripts that duplicate rc.d functionality.  A similar situation
> occurs for removable interfaces.

I'm seriously considering removing the following variables:

network_interfaces
removable_interfaces
pccard_ether

If I do that I'll probably add a pair of new start/stop targets to
/etc/rc.d/netif to replicate the remaining functions of pccard_ether
and nuke /etc/pccard_ether.

I won't get to this until the week of the 27th because I'm going to be
gone all next week.

-- Brooks

--=20

--dc+cDN39EJAMEtIO