Date:      Sun, 11 Apr 1999 09:30:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        Spidey <beaupran@jsp.umontreal.ca>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, Eric Griff <eric@netdesign1.com>
Subject:   Re: SOLVED. Re: ps problems (explained)

On Sun, 11 Apr 1999, Spidey wrote:

> Well, I think that it does. I think that it was the cause of my problems,
> until another theory seems more valuable. I see no other thing.
>
> And it does make a difference, technically, because some files are
> installed as they are used! So files like /var/run/utmp that are often
> written, if they are written as they are installed, kaput!
>
> Am I wrong?

  Yes you are.  /var/run/utmp is a data file.  It isn't even "installed"
during a installworld.  It was probably damaged during a switch from 8
character usernames to 16 character names.  Just copy /dev/null over it,
and everything is fixed.

  Also, you stating that you started you system without a procfs, because
it had become "corrupted".  That too is impossible, because procfs is
created during boot and resides completely in memory.  Also, running
without procfs is really bad.

Tom