Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 2000 23:35:11 -0700
From:      Jim Mock <jim@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Michael Chin-yuan Wu <mwu@ece.utexas.edu>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Handbook: FreeBSD Internals- Request for Review

[Cc: list trimmed down to just Michael and -doc]

On Tue, 04 Apr 2000 at 18:19:23 +0100, Nik Clayton wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 02, 2000 at 11:26:28AM -0500, Michael Chin-yuan Wu wrote:
> > I have finally finished editing and rewriting the
> > FreeBSD Handbook's section on the FreeBSD VM System
> >
> > The most up-to-date version will be on
> > http://www.ece.utexas.edu/~mwu/_working_copy_new_chapter24.txt
>
> Looks good.  I assume you've been doing this in DocBook, and that's
> just the result of converting it to text.

Actually, as he said in his reply, he's doing it in plain text.  I find
it's easier for me to mark up the plain text than go through it as
DocBook already and try to fix errors.

> > This document is very long.  What should we do about it?
> > A. Split it into several chapter.
> > B. Leave it as is.
>
>   C. Create the "FreeBSD Hackers Handbook"
>
> I favour option C. :-), possibly calling it the "FreeBSD Developer's
> Handbook" instead.  The <sect1>s in your doc then become <chapter>s in
> their own right.

I *really* like this idea.  I think we should definitely do this, and do
it as soon as we can.

> Trying to stuff everything in to the Handbook is, IMHO, a bad idea.
> The existing Handbook can be the "Users' Handbook", this new document
> can be for developers.  The two audiences are separate.

Thank you, thank you, thank you :-)  I've been noticing this as I've
been going through what we have, and I have to agree wholeheartedly.. a
lot of the stuff isn't relevant (IMO, at least) to the 'average joe'
type user which the handbook is meant to cater to.

> Other topics for a developer's handbook would be "Writing KLDs", "Writing
> device drivers", "Writing syscons screensavers", ...
>
> Probably a structure akin to:
>
>     Introduction
>     Architectural Overview
>     The Kernel
>     The VM System
>     IPv4
>     IPv6/IPsec
>     [...]
>     Kernel Loadable [ er, what does the 'd' in 'kld' stand for? ]
>     Syscons
>
> We might be able to pull in chapters 21 ("Adding new Kernel Configuration
> Options") and 22 ("Kernel Debugging") as well.  21 isn't really needed in
> a user-level document, although I can see a case for keeping 22 in the
> main Handbook.

Again this all sounds great.  Here's some info on what I plan to do to
get this thing to the printers.  Since the handbook is an ever-changing
document, I basically plan to take a 'snapshot' it as is (or as is in a
day or two) and put it up elsewhere for the reviewers.  This'll make it
much easier as far as fixing errors and reviewing go.. I won't be trying
to hit a moving target.  Since everyone who's replied to you seems to be
in agreement that this is a good thing, when I do the above, I'll cut
out the more 'advanced' bits.  It'll also give us additional books to
publish down the road sometime if we want to :-)

> FWIW, IMHO Chapter 4.4 ("Making a port yourself") can be ripped out
> of the Handbook and in to its own "Porters Handbook").  It's a huge
> amount of text, most of which isn't useful to a 'normal' FreeBSD user.

Sounds good.

> The "Contributing to FreeBSD" chapter can then point people at these
> documents ("Hackers Handbook", "Porters Handbook", "FDP Primer")
> depending on what potential contributors want to do.

This sounds good too.

> Thoughts?

I say we do it.  Let me know what I can do to help you get this done.

- jim

--
- jim mock - walnut creek cdrom/freebsd test labs - jim@luna.cdrom.com -
- phone: 1.925.691.2800 x.3814 - fax: 1.925.674.0821 - jim@FreeBSD.org -