Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 1996 10:20:10 EST
From:      "David Alderman" <dave@persprog.com>
To:        "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>, questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Cc:        GEORGE@novell.persprog.com, RDR@novell.persprog.com
Subject:   Re: Which dual Pentium motherboard? Cyrix SMP?

> >I've heard that mixing EISA/PCI can be a "headache"?
>
> Actually, EISA and PCI are a very naturual mix, since they are similar
> in a lot of ways.  The only problem with it is they charge waaay too
> much money for it.
>
> I've heard the thing to avoid is PCI+VLB, not EISA.

>   Michael L. VanLoon                                 michaelv@HeadCandy.com

EISA/PCI is fine, unless your floppy contoller is on an EISA card.
We recently migrated an old EISA 486/66 to a newer Pentium
motherboard.  Because of availability problems (and this was an
emergency) we obtained an ASUS Neptune-based EISA/PCI board rather
than their new Triton-2 board.  Unfortunately, the floppy contoller
was part of the EISA SCSI card and despite carefully pre-building an
EISA boot disk with the necessary config files from both the new
motherboard and the old peripherals.  The machine refused to
recognize the floppy on the EISA card.  Putting in an ISA floppy
controller to run the config solved the problem.  The system
administrator and her assistant took 20+ hours to do the upgrade
(there was also a hard disk replacement involved with a backup and
restore).

Moral of the story:  EISA/PCI is fine as long as the floppy controller is
on the motherboard.

Does anybody know the cost of the new ASUS PCI/EISA board?

When philosophy conflicts with reality, choose reality.
Dave Alderman  -- dave@persprog.com