Date:      Tue, 13 Oct 2009 15:33:19 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        Miguel Filgueiras <mig@ncc.up.pt>
Cc:        carmel_ny <carmel_ny@hotmail.com>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
Subject:   Re: TomTom GPS

Hi Miguel
> Hi Julian and David,
>
> > I could a co-operate with Miguel F on debug probes etc if he wants
> > ( though I dont want to wipe & destroy my GPS, theyre too useful :-)
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Julian
>
> I can assure you that I don't know of any GPS destroyed by GPSMan
> since its first version back in 1998!

Sorry, I didnt mean to imply anything there, I was more thinking of
being cautious on the option of completely zapping the base TomTom
software & installing a Linux based replacement (which I'd heard
is also possible).

> At present GPSMan has support for Garmin, Lowrance and also Magellan
> receivers. In order to add support for Tom-Toms the first thing
> we need is a publicly available description of its communication
> protocol. Is there one? Where?

I found http://www.tomtom.com/page.php?Page=gpl
	"If you want to build your own software to run on the TomTom
	GO, RIDER or ONE devices, and need information or suggestions
	on how to do so, we suggest taking a look at the independent
	OpenTom project, on its website: http://www.opentom.org/."

Lots for tomtom owners to read at http://www.opentom.org Inc eg
	http://www.opentom.org/Hardware_USB
Probably someone has already cracked the protocol.
probably no need to intercept TomTom software running on XP & split
& log it to BSD USB ports (like UPS NUT project did on some USB UPSs)

> After that we must see if it is
> feasible to implement support for it. By "we" I mean you and I
> and any other person willing to help and having some knowledge
> of Tcl or any scripting language.

I did a Tcl/Tk project once, long ago, prefer C but could do.

> Feasibility here from my
> point of view is less in technical terms and more in relation
> to the small amount of time I can alocate to this. I am currently
> working on other aspects of GPSMan that are well behind schedule
> because I cannot find people to help with the implementation...
>
> It may happen that the Tom-Tom protocol is similar to one of
> those already implemented what will decrease the amount of time
> needed.
>
> In sum, I'm interested in this, I'll be very glad to
> collaborate but I cannot promise much in terms of time.
>
> Cheers,
> Miguel

Thanks ! look like carmel_ny & I & other TomTom owners should first
read http://www.opentom.org

Cheers,
Julian
--