Date:      Fri, 19 Jul 1996 08:45:30 -0700
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
To:        E00114@vnet.atea.be (Rob Schofield)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multiple COM ports with same IRQ

>Additionally, we have the question of the interrupt being Edge (it spikes
>down, which latches on the interrupt controller) or level (it goes down and
>stays down until the CPU has serviced it).
>
>I have an EISA box which allows you to say "for this device at this address,
>expect an interrupt on IRQ X, level triggered" or "edge triggered". This sets
>up the PIC (interrupt controller) to expect a certain type of interrupt
>alright, but if the card in the slot doesn't behave like that, then
>interrupts might not register with the PIC.
>
>The original question was really to fish for opinions - given conventional
>UARTS (16550s) on an ISA card in an EISA box, can I set these two up to
>appear as a multiport by setting up the interrupt controller to handle two
>UARTs at different register addresses but sharing the same IRQ line? (ie.
>"dupe" sio into thinking it's handling a multiport).

I don't think so.  If it works, it's by accident.

Edge-triggered interrupts are a specific feature of the EISA design.
ISA cards do not know how to do that.  You need an _EISA_ board, in an
EISA bus, to correctly support this.

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.