Date:      Wed, 12 Aug 2009 05:38:10 GMT
From:      pjd@FreeBSD.org
To:        killasmurf86@gmail.com, pjd@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/137037: [zfs] [hang] zfs rollback on root causes FreeBSD to freeze in few seconds

Synopsis: [zfs] [hang] zfs rollback on root causes FreeBSD to freeze in few seconds

State-Changed-From-To: open->feedback
State-Changed-By: pjd
State-Changed-When: śro 12 sie 2009 05:33:06 UTC
State-Changed-Why:
Note that rollback of root file system is impossible to do on-line anyway.
Rollback will modify data on your root file system and because of that
file system being rolled back has to be unmounted and mounted with new data.
You shouldn't be able to unmount root file system anyway.

I'd like to have offline rollback, eg. you mark root file system for rollback
and reboot, but I'm not sure it's possible right now.

What I'd suggest instead is the following.

Let's say your root file system is tank/root and you have a snapshot to which
you're willing to rollback tank/root@snap. You could clone the snapshot and
create tank/root2, edit your /etc/fstab so that tank/root2 will be your root
file system and reboot. Once you reboot and verify everything is fine you
could promote your clone, remove tank/root and rename tank/root2 to tank/root.