Date:      Tue, 6 Apr 2010 05:23:24 -0700
From:      Octavian Hornoiu <octavianh@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFSv4_ACLs in 8-STABLE with ZFS and Samba

I downloaded FreeBSD 8-STABLE as of 4/01/2010 and i re-compiled my kernel
and made sure i was using the latest version of ZFS on my zpool.

I then installed libsunacl.  I chose to compile samba34 with "acl" support
but that didn't seem to work so i re-read the wiki entry here:

http://wiki.freebsd.org/NFSv4_ACLs

I realized it said that apps had to be compiled by changing "<sys/acl.h>"
into "<sunacl.h>

I extracted samba's tar file, replaced all references to sys/acl.h to
sunacl.h.  I then re-tarred it, replaced the md5/sha256 checksum and
compiled the port successfully.  When i go to use ACLs it won't allow me to
change them.  i go to remove an entry or add an entry or change inheritance
and i click ok in samba and nothing happens, the next window simply shows
them all back again with no modifications.  Am i missing something obvious?

My smb.conf had the following enabled in the global section:

    nt acl support = yes
    inherit acls = yes
    map acl inherit = yes

Also, i checked zfs and it has the following setting for ACLs:

data  aclmode               groupmask              default
data  aclinherit            restricted             default

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Octavian