Date:      Sat, 21 Aug 1999 18:42:46 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mmap mapped segment length

Wes Peters scribbled this message on Aug 21:
> Now I've got to go figure out what *I've* screwed up.  I fstat the file before
> mapping it and pass S.st_size as the map length.  Is there any reason why
> mmap would return non-NULL but map less than the requested size?

no, there is NO reason why it wouldn't map the entire 50meg file...
I have used ffsrecov w/ a 1.8gig file where I fstat it and map the entire
file w/o a problem...

also, mmap doesn't return NULL, it returns MAP_FAILED...

the code for ffsrecov might give you some hints to make sure you aren't
doing anything wrong...

--
  John-Mark Gurney                              Voice: +1 541 684 8449
  Cu Networking					  P.O. Box 5693, 97405

  "The soul contains in itself the event that shall presently befall it.
  The event is only the actualizing of its thought." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson