Date:      Thu, 11 Sep 1997 15:28:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        Dave Babler <dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help with Sendmail/DNS

On Thu, 11 Sep 1997, Dave Babler wrote:
> > orionsys.com.        IN MX 10 rigel.orionsys.com.
> > rigel.orionsys.com.  IN MX 10 rigel.orionsys.com.
> > altair.orionsys.com. IN MX 10 altair.orionsys.com.
>                                 ^^^^^^
> But doesn't this make anything addressed to altair go directly -TO-
> altair immediately?

Yes it does, if you want rigel to send mail to altair it has to
be this way. (you could turn DNS off on rigel and play lots of
games to avoid the MX to altair but it would be painful).

Just don't allow out going mail to include "altair" in the address.
Make sure all outgoing mail shows as coming from user@orionsys.com
and that Reply-To: is set the same.

Bounces and such will go directly to altair, but they're supposed to
anyway.  Normal mail will go through rigel.

>           If I make it:
>
> 	orionsys.com.		IN MX 10 rigel.orionsys.com.
> 	rigel.orionsys.com.	IN MX 10 rigel.orionsys.com.
> 	altair.orionsys.com.	IN MX 10 rigel.orionsys.com.
>
> And make the changes below, I'm back to the DSN error from sendmail saying
> Altair loops back to Rigel.

Right, sendmail does an MX lookup and sees that it is the best MX
for the mail but altair isn't in its Cw and mail to altair is not
shunted off to a different host (sending it to altair doesn't count)
so it complains.  Giving altair its own MX resolves this.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  714 443 4172
 DPC Systems / Beach.Net                                    dan@dpcsys.com